The PENINSULA CHAPTER was chartered November 9, 1948 in the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, Inc. (S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A).
Originally organized in San Carlos, California, the Peninsula Chapter moved its meeting location in subsequent years to Redwood City; then Palo Alto; and later to Sunnyvale. These cities along with several other neighboring cities are located in close proximity to each other along the western edge of the San Francisco Bay known as the Peninsula. Most of our members hail from these various communities, hence, the genesis of our chorus name, “The Peninsulaires.”
The Peninsulaires have proudly competed against some of the Society’s finest choruses. In International Competition, we placed 2nd in 1974 in Kansas City, Missouri, 3rd in 1980 in Salt Lake City, Utah, and 5th in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1982.